Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Winter People By Jennifer McMahon Book Review


       If there is one thing I would say about The Winter People, it would be that Jennifer McMahon is a dynamic writer.   The book starts out as a diary in 1908 and switches to the present day.   In addition, the book took different points of view from different characters which made it even better for me to read. 

       In this case, the story focused on Sarah Harrison Shea, her husband Martin, and her daughter, Gertie.  In the beginning, Gertie would die when she went out in the middle of the night looking for her mother when she fell into a well.    
        
       Then, in the present day, 19 year old Ruthie is in the present day living in Sara’s house with her mother Alice and her younger sister Fawn.  During the story, Alice would disappear.  Ruthie and Fawn would look for clues when they found Sarah’s diary in the floorboards of the mothers bedroom.  

         The story moves on the diary and how valuable it is since it was written in 1908.  Then it moves back to the present day as Ruthie and Fawn try to locate their mother.  The story moves along very nicely for me with a lot of tension, especially towards the end of the story.  

          I give a lot of credit to Jennifer McMahon for writing in this dynamic way.  It is a challenge to write from different points of view and for some authors, that can be difficult because for the reader, it might be hard to follow but I thought that McMahon did a great job of keeping me in the loop and making it the story easy to follow.  

           As far as the subject is concerned, this is the second time this year that I’ve read a ghost story and I have to say I enjoyed it.  It’s a nice change of pace and I thought this also was a good blend of a mystery as to what happened to Alice
.   
            The ratings on Amazon seemed good.  Of course, there were some people who didn’t like the idea of bringing back the dead.  I didn’t have a problem with that and I thought that made the story even more mysterious to me. 

             I have no problem giving this book five stars and hope to read more books by Jennifer McMahon. 

Ron Hummer 

No comments:

Post a Comment