Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Caught By Harlan Coben - Book Review

      There are certain authors that I have read over the years and it seems that not only is each book better than the other but in addition, I know that I’m not going to pick up the book and see what it’s about because I’m confident that the book will be great. 

       Harlan Coben is one of those writers for me.  I’ve always enjoyed the Myron Bolitar series since it’s such a great blend of action and humor.  I know that you don’t have to read them in order but I can’t help it.  That’s what I do.  

        The stand alone books are just as great.  And the most recent one, Caught, was a great book from start to finish.  Coben always seems to write about suburban crime in New Jersey and this was another great book that he did it in. 

         I’m not sure why bookmarks said that there was weaker characterization in this book.  All the characters were memorable, especially Wendy Tynes, who played a reporter and a great protagonist in this novel.  What got to me the most in this story was that it seemed like it was right out of the headlines of a local newspaper.  It’s not only a great mystery but a believable story. 

           You have all the elements.  A missing teenager named Haley McWaid.   Wendy Tynes, a reporter who is about to trap a predator named Dan Mercer.  Once the trap is sprung though, the big mystery there was whether he was a predator or not. 

            There were a lot of reasons that I thought the story kept moving for me.  Finding Haley McWaid.  The problems that were developing for Dan Mercer.  And then there was Wendy Tynes, who also played detective in solving all the mysteries in this one.  There were a lot of mysteries to be solved.  Each part of the plot seemed layered in to another layer.  Once I got to the end of the mystery, I was shocked about everything that happened.  

             All of Coben’s books seem like a puzzle where each part of the story leads somewhere else.  Once you’re through it, you see how great he is at solving the crime and making it seem like everything made sense. 

             All that, along with the Internet, really brought this story up to date.  I can’t understand why there is only one movie for his books.  Even though Tell No One is in French, it’s still a great movie.  There should be more movies based on his books.  It’s a great read and I would give it more than five stars if I could .  


Ron Hummer

No comments:

Post a Comment