Saturday, October 11, 2014

Gone Girl - Movie Review


          After reading the book Gone Girl, I was anxious to see what the movie would be like.  I know that on one hand, I read the book and have an idea what was going to happen but that has happened with other movies that I saw after reading a book.  

           It’s hard for me to remember the book since I read it before the movie came so that usually doesn’t deter me from seeing the movie.   Since this movie had an alternate ending, I thought that it would be interesting to see if that would improve the movie and make it even better. 

           My reaction after seeing this movie is that I was very disappointed.  There were times that I felt guilty for even recommending it to my wife since she didn’t read the book.  You would think that Hollywood couldn’t botch a movie that was based on a book like Gone Girl but I just shook my head by the time it was over and apologized to my wife for taking her to see this movie. 

           It was good that on one hand, the producers did not change the movie around except for the ending.  But the movie seemed to take on a very dark tone with the music as well as well as some of the sex scenes, which were not very good and seemed like it was out of a campy horror movie, making me wonder if Jason was going to walk in like he did in the Friday the 13th movies.  

           What made the movie even worse for me was the murder scene that Amy was involved in.  It was more than over done with so much blood that I just couldn’t help but turn away.  I did not think there was any reason for the producers of the film to do that.  It was one of the worst scenes that I saw and it again ranked up there with a horror movies that I saw in the 80’s that I would like to forget.  

            As far as the alternate ending was concerned, it was worse than the one in the book.  You could see from the movie that Amy’s story had flaws in it and there was no reason why the producers could work on an alternate ending that would go after the flaws in her story.  I realize that these were the same flaws in the book but seeing it in the movie just made it more obvious for me. 

            Not much that you could say for the performances of the Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike, who seemed to just go through the motions throughout the movie.  I think Pike’s performance could have been much better if the producers looked to Sharon Stone’s performance in Basic Instinct, which was a similar role that Pike took on.   

             My feeling is that if you haven’t read the book, then don’t see the movie.  If you read the book, then don’t see the movie.  I will give it two stars.  

Ron Hummer 

No comments:

Post a Comment